Kentucky does not require individuals who perform locksmith services to undergo professional locksmith training or obtain a professional locksmith license in order to conduct business in the state.
There is no current pending legislation supporting the licensure or regulation of locksmiths in the state of Kentucky.
Although no state required locksmith training exists, you may be required to obtain a business license if you want to become a locksmith in Kentucky. The steps needed to acquire a business license in Kentucky for potential locksmiths may include but are not limited to:
- Determining if you’ll need a special license or permit to operate your business
- Choosing your legal business structure
- Obtain an EIN from the IRS
- Registering your business with the Department of Revenue
- Obtaining your local business license
- Determine any employer responsibilities
- Considering any environmental issues related to your business
- Understanding specific ordinances
The Think Kentucky business guide is a wonderful resource for aspiring locksmiths. If you have additional questions regarding setting up your locksmith business in Kentucky you can contact the appropriate bureaus below:
Contact the Kentucky Department of Revenue at (502) 564-3306 for information on state tax obligations and registration requirements, or review their website at http://revenue.ky.gov/business.
Business Information Clearinghouse
Division of Small Business Services
Department for Business Development
Cabinet for Economic Development
300 West Broadway
Old Capitol Annex
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: (800) 626-2250